Friday, November 22, 2013

Movies

I ran across an article in Entertainment Weekly last week entitled 8 Great Movies Too Upsetting to See Twice. The list is made up of these movies.
1. Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
2. Straw Dogs (1971)
3. Come and See (1985)
4. Irreversible (2003)
5. United 93 (2006)
6. Dancer in the Dark (2000)
7. The Sorrow and the Pity (1969)
8. Requiem For a Dream (2000)
So, here's the thing. I've heard of about half of these. I've no interest in seeing the ones I'd never heard of, and frankly the others are a little beyond my capacity for a two-hour Hollywood-sad-fest.

The problem I have with this list, and others like it, is that they miss the gargantuan ones. I mean, how do you leave out Sophie's Choice? Schindler's List? The Piano? SHOAH!?!?!?! Those, those, I'd watch over and over, and be depressed over and over, because they are true at a level that goes beyond Holloywood-sad. [Disclaimer: Shoah is actually a documentary, so it isn't fair that I'm including it, but I've been thinking about re-watching it this winter so it's been right at the front of my brain, and it's my blog, so it's here.]

On the other hand, I was gifted a copy of RHPS recently and Sparky spied it when he was home a few weeks ago. He told us last week that he watched and found it "weird." "Really weird." I need to watch that again too. Sort of, maybe, at the same time I'm watching Shoah.



0 thing(s) to say:

Post a Comment

Talk it up now!

| Top ↑ |